Trish and Harold's Weblog

News, information, and random thoughts from the busy lives of Trish Egan and Harold Phillips.


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

On Stage and (Unfortunately) Off



Hey there folks

Some good news and some bad news on the "Live on Stage" front... first, the bad news -

If you'll remember that in an earlier post I said I was going to be appearing in an interactive murder mystery this weekend to benefit the Amaranth Diabetes Research Foundation. Unfortunately, Wild Bills (the company producing the murder mystery) let me know that the Amaranth Foundation hasn't sold enough tickets to the event, so they're cancelling it. It's a pity - as I said in the previous post, these murder mystery shows are generally private affairs. This is the first show in a long time that was open to the public, and I heard from a few people that they were interested in coming. If you're one of those people... my apologies.

Now, the good news - The Owl And The Pussycat reading I appeared in for Mt. Hood Repertory Theater Company on Monday was a rousing success. The crowd at the MHCC Visual Arts Theater wasn't huge, but they certainly had a great time - Derya Ruggles and I got a lot of laughs from them. People were all smiles as they left the theater... and I have to admit, I was riding a little bit of a high as I drove away myself.

I was talking to... someone the other day about the exhilaration that comes from performing in front of a live audience - whomever it was said that she (yeah, I think it was a she...) couldn't imagine getting up in front of people and performing. She said that the fear of screwing up, of being out there on stage in front of everyone with no chance at a "do-over" would be petrifying.

Derya had a slightly different take on that anxiety... as we chatted backstage before going on, she recalled something one of her acting teachers had told her years ago. "Do you feel that quiver in your stomach before you go on stage," he asked her. She said that yes, she did. "That's your talent, trying to get out."

Food for thought, to be sure...

Labels: , , , , ,