Trish and Harold's Weblog

News, information, and random thoughts from the busy lives of Trish Egan and Harold Phillips.


Friday, May 28, 2010

New Photos With the NebCat


So, I got together with local actor and photographer Deneb Catalan yesterday at Portland's Washington Park to shoot some new headshots. I think they turned out pretty well... Take a look and let me know what you think at my Facebook "Fan Page" (yes I have one of those... that's where I post the more "business-related" and less "personal" stuff). Of course, if you're not the Facebook type, you can always just email me your thoughts... or send them to me on Twitter!

See, I love the headshots that Owen Carey took for me back in 2006... but we shot them in 2006. That's four years ago... and lets be honest - our faces change from year to year!
Rule of thumb when it comes to headshots in the acting biz - they need to look like you. Not the "You" you want to look like - all air-brushed and given the "Glamour Shots" treatment - but the "you" that's going to walk through the casting office/ theater/ agency door when you audition or interview. The person who set that interview or audition based his or her decision - at least in part - on what you look like. S/he knows what you look like from your headshot - and if you walk in the door looking different, s/he isn't going to be too happy. It can be quite the uphill climb, getting past the bad feelings a situation like that can cause.

That's why I went to Colleen Cahill late last year when I grew back my Animus Cross Series II mustache; I grow facial hair from time-to-time, and I'm still looking for work while I've got it on my face. If I get submitted for an audition (or if I submit myself) I need to show the person casting that project what I look like right then - they don't care what I looked like, or what I will look like... they want to see me now, and they want to see what I look like now.

Which brings us back to the new photos... a lot's changed since those shots in 2006. The hair's gotten a little greyer... the lines around my eyes have gotten deeper... I got my teeth worked on and they look different. I just don't look quite like this guy any more... so I've got to find the right shots that show how I look today. Right now.
Well, not right now... I haven't showered yet today... but you get the idea.

So, tell me what you think. Give me your favorites - which shot looks the most like me (and make the most out of how I look right now)? I'd love to hear what you think.

Have a great weekend!

-Harold

Labels: , , , , , ,