Trish and Harold's Weblog

News, information, and random thoughts from the busy lives of Trish Egan and Harold Phillips.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Rachel & Julius, Together Again

Howdy y'all

Missed my trip to the gym today. It's especially hard to fit my "three visits a week" days like the past couple. Ah well... at least I'm making the effort... and as you can see the gym visits are certainly showing some results - as are the trips to the tanning salon! :)

Actually, that Harold Phillips and I periodically trade the top spot on the page whenever I google my name. He's had photos published in plenty of nation-wide muscle magazines, so I'm surprised to see that I'm even in the #2 spot... yeah, it's ego-surfing. Sue me. I think it's funny that anyone who looks me up would find that Harold first. "Ooo... don't mess with Harold! He looks tough!"

So, why didn't I make it to the gym yesterday or today? Well... sit right back and you'll hear a tale.

Thursday morning, while I revised the Mt. Hood Rep web site and sent out our monthly electronic newsletter, The Aside, Trish was busy at the Duplex. As I mentioned in a previous post, we've put the duplex on the market. As a pro-active move, we had it fully inspected so that we wouldn't be in for any surprises when someone made an offer and conducted their own inspection.

Well, we had some surprises, but none were too bad. Trish met with some folks yesterday to have both the furnaces serviced, and a pest control company to take care of some rodent evidence. We also had Zane Palmer, a local actor who's also a licensed contractor, do some exterior work on the place. That pretty much took up her morning. Then she went home and did some last minute work before the reading of My Name Is Rachel Corrie that she was directing.

I took off to do a couple of appointments that were going take the rest of my afternoon, but I planned on going with Trish to see some of the reading, before my preview of In The Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer (because my character doesn't give his "testomony" until near the end of the show, I don't have to be at the theatre until 8:30).

My first clue that something "interesting" was going to happen that evening was when I mentioned the reading to my last client of the day. "Oh," she said, "your wife's involved with THAT???" "Uh, yeah," I replied. "She's directing it. How did you hear about it?" "Well, there's a big article about it in today's Oregonian." "Oh, really..." (I have to admit, I took some small note of pride in the Oregonian article since I wrote the first draft of the press release that was sent out).

Then I got home to prep for the preview of my show and to follow Trish to her reading. Trish mentioned, in an off-hand way, that she'd called local radio talk-show host Thom Hartmann on the air, and he let her plug the show. "Cool!" said I.

THEN the phone rang. It was Francesca Sanders' husband Rick, telling Trish that things were getting ugly. Apparently another local radio talk-show host, Neo-con mouthpiece Lars Larson, mentioned the reading on the air as well... and he wasn't complementary about Rachel Corrie or those who were taking part in the reading. Threatening phone calls had been made to the church where the reading was going to be held. The church had hired security. The people at the church who had given us the space to use were very worried.

It was with some trepidation that we headed off to the reading that night... but it went off without a hitch. I was able to see the first hour of the piece - VERY moving. Funny and not a little bit sad. All told, about 160 people came to see the reading, and none of them were violent or tried to disrupt the procedings. Trish can probably tell you about it best though: Click here.

About 8:00 saw headed for the preview of In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer (though I detoured past Jack In The Box to get something to eat). The preview audience was small, but appreciative. Preview night was the first night we did a curtain call (the director gave us a diagram to indicate how we were supposed to enter, bow and leave, but we'd never run it). There was some confusion there, but over all thing went pretty well.

I had to get up at 6:00am the next morning, so there was no partying afterward. Friday was anothe rcompressed day: I had to do some Standardized Patient work at NCNM in the morning, then run down to Beaverton to get a part for a job later in the day, run past the mailbox in Tigard, go to the Mt. Hood Rep office in Gresham to pick up the binders and forms for rehearsal scheduled for Saturday morning, and then get out to a client's house by 3:30 (well, it was more like 3:50 by the time I got there... there was a huge accident involving a semi on I-205 that hung me up).

That evening we opened Oppenheimer to a half-full house (the house only holds 26, so "half-full" ends up being 10 or more :) ). The audience was very appreciative. We actually got a Standing Ovation! I did hang back to have a glass of wine and talk with the cast, but couldn't stay for long... because I had to get up at 6:00am the next morning to run the rehearsal for Road to Mecca.

So, yeah... I haven't made it to the gym much in the past few days. But that's ok... the other Harold is working out enough for both of us :)

Hope you're all doing well