Trish and Harold's Weblog

News, information, and random thoughts from the busy lives of Trish Egan and Harold Phillips.


Friday, April 17, 2009

Show BUSINESS 101


So, not to rub it in, but... how'd Tax Day treat you?

Do you feel like you payed way too much in taxes? Did you look at your theatrical income and say, "wow, THAT'S all I made last year?" Did you look at that income and realize you made more than you think, but feel like you're not going anywhere?

Did it leave you with the feeling that you really need to get control of your acting business? If so, you might want to consider taking one or all of the Show BUSINESS 101 Seminars I'm offering on April 26, May 3, May 19, and May 26.

Look, those of you who know me know I don't like to toot my own horn (unless you subscribe to my personal mailing list at http://www.haroldphillips.net/... I don't mind blowing a little self-promotional tune on that list). I may not be the best actor around... but I have had a pretty successful few years in our local scene. That success can be attributed, largely, to the way I run my business. They say "there's no business like show buisiness," but I disagree... I think that show business is like any other business, and focusing on your business as an actor will only help it to grow.

I realize that everyone and his brother seems to be offering classes and workshops right now. I'm not out to teach you all how to be a better actor, though - I want to teach you how to run your business LIKE a business, so that when next April 15th rolls around you can look at your Schedule C or 1040 and realize that you've made progress, and that you've made your career grow.

I hope you'll join me at the Portland Acting Studio in the historic Olympic Mills building (http://portlandacting.blogspot.com/) for these three hour seminars. Space is limited to 25 participants per seminar, so pre-registration is required. Visit http://www.professionalactorsguide.com/seminars/ for more information on the seminars, and register.

Many of you are feeling like it's time to get serious about your acting careers. I may just have one or two things to say that can help you do it. I hope I see you there.