Trish and Harold's Weblog

News, information, and random thoughts from the busy lives of Trish Egan and Harold Phillips.


Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Ah, Nostalgia...

I guess I drank too much coffee at the Mt. Hood Rep board meeting tonight. Here I am up at 2 am posting to the steenkin' blog, and I have to be up at 7 for an early appointment.

In any case... I don't know what got into me. Maybe it was seeing Trish hook up with her high school friend in Boise, maybe I'm feeling my age, maybe I'm just tired from the trip and the time change from Mountain time to Pacific time... but on the way home from the board meeting I got to thinking about high school, and the fact that my 20 year reunion is going to take place in just three years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all morose about the 20 year reunion coming up... quite to the contrary, I feel damned contented with my life. I'm married to a lovely woman, I'm helping to create good theatre (even if I'm not getting paid for it... grumble grumble), I've played TWO of my dream acting parts already (Hornbeck in Inherit The Wind and Charlie Fox in Speed The Plough), and even though I do another job to supliment my acting income, I'm an actor first. The other job is truly "just a day job." I figure I'm doing ok.

Sure, I'm no John Heginbotham (you'll have to scroll down the page to see him), dancing with a world-renouned dance troupe and jet setting all over the country and the world. I'm no Dawson Moore, a well known playwright and coordinator of an international Theatre Conference (he has playwrights from Australia vying for his attention... he's a BMOC, I tells ya!). I'm certainly no... uh... wait, anyone else I went to high school with as well-thought-of in artistic circles as those two?

Beuler? Beuler? Probably, but I can't think of any at the moment :)

Whatever... the point is, I drank too much coffee at the board meeting, and as I was sitting at the computer I started to look around to see what I could find out about my East Anchorage High School class of 1989 chums. Surprisingly... I found quite a bit!

For instance, I found this site created by an East High graduate as an alternative to Classmates and the other big sites out there. I would hope that when the Class of '89 reunion committee puts plans together (there is a reunion committee, right? :) ) they'll post it there. Heck, I even gave the guy $5 on paypal to keep the site going. It's very well put together.

I also found this Yahoo Group for EVERYONE who's attended East High (there's only 98 members signed up, so I don't think that EVERYONE knows about it). And I found that quite a few of my classmates have put up profiles on Reunion.com (not sure yet if I want to spend the $36 it'd take to look at those profiles, though :) ).

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I found out where John Heginbotham's been hiding and sent him an email (through the general mailbox on the Mark Morris Dance Group site). Looks like the Mark Morris Group will be in Portland in April of 2006 doing a show with the White Bird Dance Series... maybe I can talk him into having a drink with me if he's coming out with them. He was a great guy, and I always thought he epitomized that rare example of someone who deserved success actually getting it.

Then again, he probably won't remember me and the Mark Morris people will put me in the "Stalker - Do Not Respond" pile. Either way, I feel like I've massaged my nostalgia muscles enough for one night.

I'm headed for bed. 'Night!